The Dangers of Dog Treats

What pooch doesn’t love getting a few treats now and then?

Most dog owners love giving their dog’s treats!

Anyone who owns a dog probably has a good idea of what their dog likes to munch on. There are so many yummy treats available these days and they all come in many different shapes, sizes, colors, and consistencies.

But, for every great dog treat, there are always those on the market that you have to watch out for. These treats can harm your pet by getting lodged in your dog’s throat or intestines. This can cause choking or worse. If you love treating your canine friend, then you’ll want to be aware of the ones that can be harmful. Even with treats that aren’t usually dangerous, you should supervise your dog when they’re eating them.

Greenies: Most dogs really love these treats. They’re advertised as a treat that helps clean your dog’s teeth and freshen their breath.

However, you need to be aware that dogs have been known to choke on greenies. This happens most often with dogs that eat them very quickly and causes large chunks to lodge in the throat.

Young puppies shouldn’t eat them as well as dogs that are prone to “scarfing” their food.

If your dog eats greenies, watch out for vomiting, bloody stools, or difficulty breathing.  If you notice any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.

Rawhide Chews: What dog doesn’t love snacking on these chewy treats?

Rawhides can be good because it cleans your dog’s teeth and keeps your dog occupied. However, rawhides can also be dangerous, as well.

You also need to watch out for rawhides that originate outside of the United States because they may actually be preserved with arsenic-based chemicals. Make sure that any rawhide treat you purchase is processed in the United States where these preservatives are forbidden.  If you cannot tell where a treat originated don’t buy it!

You still need to watch your dog when munching on rawhides to help prevent choking. Always buy rawhides that are the right size for your dog, too. The smaller the dog, the smaller the size of the rawhide treats they should get.

Chocolate: Chocolate is a dangerous thing to allow dogs to eat. Sometimes dogs get into candy and cake by accident. Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats, so you need to watch out for your dog sneaking chocolate nibbles, especially around the holidays.

Chocolate contains an ingredient called theobromine. This chemical works in canines about the same way caffeine acts in you.  A little makes the doggie hyperactive, but in a large amount it could be fatal.

If your dog has gotten into chocolate, you need to keep  a close eye and watch out for vomiting, shallow breathing, and irregular heartbeat.  Just to be safe, you should probably pay a visit to the emergency vet.

Bones: Because dogs eat meat, it seems that it’s only right that they should be able to crunch on a real bone. And dogs do love bones of all types.

However, some bones can be dangerous. Both chicken and turkey bones are especially dangerous because they’re brittle. When your dog chews them, they can easily splinter and cause choking.

Pork and beef bones can also cause the same problem. Raw bones are actually better than cooked bones.

Veterinarians agree that the one of the safest bones you can give your dog is a shinbone.

If you decide to give your dog a bone, always supervise your pooch and if he or she shows signs of bleeding, then you should call your vet immediately for some advice.

This isn’t to say that you shouldn’t give your dog an occasional treat. That’s one of the best parts of owning a dog. But you do need to take care and watch your dog to make sure that he’s safe while munching.